ANTS Questions

QAPCIQAPCI Posts: 13
edited January 9, 2007 6:18AM in ANTS Load
I have a few ANTS questions I'd really like some answers on please, see below;

Background;
I recorded a simple script that goes to a .ASP page which (on the click of a button) posts an XML against web server which returns appropriate XML response in same .ASP page, end of script. Pretty simple really as only one page is ever displayed/requested.

Questions:
1. I am running 10 VCs for 10 minute intervals, does ANTS execute 10 simultaneous requests constantly for the 10 minute period?
2. Does each VC wait for a response before firing request again?
3. What exactly is the Count displayed in 'Summary information by page' results screen? The number of times a VC was able to successfully send a request and receive a response, basically run the script from start to finish successfully?

One last question/observation;
1 VC for 1 minutes produces ANTS count of 39, OK but 10 VCs for 1 minute also produces ANTS count of 39. Also 10 VCs for 10 minutes ONLY has ANTS count of 390. To me it seems like ANTS is simply queing up the requests and only processing 1 at a time. The server is set to have 100 possible IIS threads. I'm baffled. Please advise.
Thanks.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for your questions.
    I am running 10 VCs for 10 minute intervals, does ANTS execute 10 simultaneous requests constantly for the 10 minute period?
    Does each VC wait for a response before firing request again?
    In a steady test comprised of 10 virtual clients, ten distinct threads are running, one per virtual client. Each thread is working synchronously, sending the request, reading the response, sending the next request, and so on. The amount of time between requests can also be controlled by inserting Sleep or RandomSleep commands into the script between requests.
    What exactly is the Count displayed in 'Summary information by page' results screen? The number of times a VC was able to successfully send a request and receive a response, basically run the script from start to finish successfully?
    Summary information by page lists the total number of requests for a page and the average and maximum amount of time it took to satisfy these requests. A page is comprised of a number of requests; basically everything between the BeginPage and EndPage commands in the script.
    1 VC for 1 minutes produces ANTS count of 39, OK but 10 VCs for 1 minute also produces ANTS count of 39. Also 10 VCs for 10 minutes ONLY has ANTS count of 390. To me it seems like ANTS is simply queing up the requests and only processing 1 at a time. The server is set to have 100 possible IIS threads. I'm baffled. Please advise.
    Hopefully the explanation to point 1 sort-of explains this!