Synchronise only specific columns?

benhambidgebenhambidge Posts: 3
edited January 9, 2007 12:59PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm using the API.

Is there a way to restrict the synchronisation of columns across databases? In particular, I want to prevent deletion of columns in the target database if they don't appear in the source database. (I have a 'master' source database that forms a template, and then multiple 'active' databases that I need to propogate changes to. However, if I have ever added a custom column to one live databases, which I next synchronise and update from the 'master template' I don't want to delete this column, only alter existing ones or add new ones as appropriate.

By setting Difference.Selected I can decide which table, sproc, view, func etc, will by synced, but I can't seem to do this for columns.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Ben,

Thanks for asking, but as you might have guessed, the API doesn't support column-level schema comparisons. The columns are treated as attributes of the table object. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any chance of (some of) this functionality being added? e.g. choose to just add all columns that don't exist in the target db without removing ones that don't?

Otherwise, I have a huge potential "data loss" issue, and my main reason for using your software becomes redundant :(