1314: Couldn't log on as the ASPNET user [1314]

Hi, I'm getting the following error when attempting to start profiling a web app. There seem to be plenty of posts here for this same error message but with different error numbers. I've tried following suggestions to those problems, so far without success.

I'm running Win2000 with .NET 1.1.

Also the username in my machiine.config is "machine." I've tried it with "ASPNET" and "SYSTEM" with the same results.

Thanks for any help! -Mike

Unable to start profiler - exception details System.Exception: Couldn't log on as the ASPNET user [1314]

Server stack trace:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController._7(String )
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String url)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfilingSession.StartProfiler()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Windows.Forms.MethodInvoker.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at _3._4(IAsyncResult )

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for asking us about this. I've never seen ANTS Profiler throw a logon error with this error code before. You can check MSDN to get the Windows API error codes, in this case, 1314 means:
    A required permission is not held by the client.
    Microsoft recommends checking that the logged-in user (not the ASPNET user) has the "act as part of the operating system" user right in the local security policy. After changing this, update the security policy (secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce) and log off and on again.

Please let us know whether or not this clears up the problem.