Options

Source code in an ASP.NET project

Just wondering how I can get the profiler to see the code for an ASP.NET project I'm trying to profile. I've moved the .pdb file to the same directory as the application but when I profile the app it never seems to find the symbol table.

Is there something specific I can do to get the profiler to see and display all of the source code I've written within the context of the profiler.

Thanks,

ralan
ralan

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Ralan

Source code will only be shown if you have profiled a debug build of your application. If you have profiled a release build, then no source code will be available.

Can you please confirm that you are profiling a debug build of your application?

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software
    Technical Support Engineer
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Yes, I'm trying to profile a debug build.
    ralan
  • Options
    Hi Ralan,

sorry to hear that this is being difficult. The easiest way to check out this kind of problem is to add the 'Module File' column in 'All methods' tab. You can do this by right clicking on the column headers and selecting 'Choose columns'

The 'Module File' column will show you the exact file that corresponds to each method. If you expect to be able to see source code for a given method you need to verify that there is a pdb in the same location as the dll.

This may not be working as you expect for ASP.NET because the files are loaded from 'temporary asp.net files' rather than your build directory.

Hope this helps

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software