Licencing

MarkHMarkH Posts: 8
Hi, would you please explain how I can remove the licence prompt when I deploy my developed application using SqlDataCompare libraries to the server?

Basically I have licenced the product on my development machine, but when I try to run the application from the command line on the server I am prompted to register again.

Also when i compile a console app using the libraries on my development machine there is no SQL Toolkit_v5.lic created??

The only licence files I can see are some licence.lisx in the sample code folders, yes I tried using this in my deployment directory on the server which did not work.

I have read various articals on this forum including

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... ce+license

but whatever I do I cannot create the .lic file??

The only thought is that I instaled the licence on machine1, copied the following files to machine2 (development machine) then tried to deploy to machine3 (the server) ???

redgate.swldatacompare.engine.dll
redgate.sqlcompare.engine.dll
redgate.sql.shared.dll
nunit.framework.dll
redgate.licensing.client.dll
reggate.licensing.helper.dll


Mark. :?
Regards,

MarkH

Comments

  • Update,

    Received licence key, thank you. Would still like to know why cant create .lic file if possible,

    Cheers,

    Mark.
    Regards,

    MarkH
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    Hi Mark,

    Component licensing is complicated and can fail for more reasons than I can name. If you're saying you've got past the activation and have got the 'SQL Toolkit_v5.lic' file in %allusersprofile%\application Data\Red Gate\Licenses, then you're halfway home.

    The trick now is to get Microsoft's bits to work. There are a few guidelines for the licenses.licx file that may help:
    1. Don't copy the licenses.licx file from another folder and simply dump it into your project folder. It's supposed to be an embedded resource and Visual Studio does an incredibly poor job of handling these. If possible, use Explorer and delete licenses.licx, then go back into the project, right-click, add new, file, call it licenses.licx.
    2. Check the properties of licenses.licx and make ABSOLUTELY SURE the build action says 'Embedded Resource'.
    3. The entries in licenses.licx are case-sensitive, so for SQL Data Compare, you should have one line:
    RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine<RETURN>
    4. If you go to build the project, and get an error, licx has been picked up by Visual Studio, but the format is wrong.
    5. If the lic file has been done correctly, the build will silently succeed. To double-check that it works, (crude, but effective) open the file in a text editor and search for your serial number. It should appear in the assembly close to the beginning.

    Hope this helps!
Sign In or Register to comment.