Restore fails mysteriously

mliumliu Posts: 26
edited December 7, 2006 11:44AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have restarted running the log shipping in full swing since last Friday. From time to time, the restore process could't find the file where it is located, then it would find the log file next time it is scheduled to run. Even though it eventually completes the restore task, and puts the log file where it should go. The sporatical behavior concerns us when it will continousely fails to find the file, and the log files will simply accumulates.

Is there a way to show more specific reasons why the file is not found? Such as the network connection gets lost for a short period of time, or something other than "warning 220: NO log files found to be restored"?

Thanks

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I'm not sure how I can help. I'd assume that the directory you are restoring from is available unless you get a 560 error, which would indicate that the folder does not exist. Maybe staggering the backup and restore jobs a bit would help. Typically you would figure out how long a typical log file restore takes and set the job interval to roughly double that. Then offset the restore job so it starts in half the restore time. That should ensure that when the restore job runs, there is always a backup file in the restore folder.