RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe - error after installing sql 2005

asapjimasapjim Posts: 2
edited December 19, 2006 1:36PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi, I've been using version 3.1.5.191 of SQL Compare for sometime without any problems. I just installed the SQL 2005 client tools on my mahine today and now when I run the SQL Compare I get about 89% of the way through a synchronization and the application bombs with the following:

RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveninence.

I've clicked on the debug to try and get more information but the debugger (vs2003) says it cannot attach to the process.

Please note, I am not attempting to compare SQL 2005 databases. I am attempting to compare two SQL 2000 databases (this is only part of the process for upgrading to SQL 2005). Is there a work around for this?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The error message leaves something to be desired for revealing the cause of the problem. What may be a good idea would be to download the ultimate 3.x update and see if that helps:

ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/old/sql/bundle341.exe
  • After several iterations, I was able to get SQL Server 2005 and VS 2005 successfully loaded on my local computer (XP Pro). All software is current (as much as possible) with latest hot fixes.

However, now when I try to run SQL Compare, I am getting the following error:

"RegGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled."

This error also occurs when attempting to run DataCompare and even the "check for updates". I am currently running SQL Compare version 5.3.0.44

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    -jon
    Hi Jon,

The first issue was a problem with a different version of SQL Compare than the one you have. In your case, there is a general .NET Framework problem that causes mscorlib.dll to crash as soon as SQL Compare loads the runtime, rather than en error happening partway through the comparison. SQL Compare 3 did not have full support for SQL Server 2005 and your version does support it all the way.

Which versions of the .NET Framework are installed on the machine? You may want to consider re-installing version 1.1 if you have it. Most commonly, SQL Compare does this when an early version of Framework 1.1 is installed (1.1.4322.510).

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, Brian, for the quick response.

I currently have the following .Net frameworks installed:
    1.1 hotfix (KB886903)

I also have the the >net Compact Framework
    1.0 sp3 developer

Interesting. I have attempted to run the ".Net Framework 1.1 Configuration" and the snap-in failed to initialize. I also not that in the "Add/Remove Programs" cpl, there is no size associated with the 1.1 or 1.1 hotfix applications.

I will see what I can do to reinstall the 1.1 framework. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks!

-jon

P.S. As this is not associated with the original topic, would you like me to create a new topic?
    Hi,

I'll split the topic after we fix the problem I think.

Can you go to start->run and open %systemroot%\assembly, then right-click the mscorcfg files (there is probably more than one) and select properties? On the version tab, this should show the full framework version, including the build number (the last three digits). If you have 1.1.4322.510 as one of these, you will need to get the RTM Framework from Microsoft. This should be 1.1.4322.573.
  • Hmmm. I only see a single mscorcfg file and it's for version 2.0.0.0

I don't see any for 1.1. Let me install again.

-jon
  • The problem appears to be with my installation of the .Net Framework 1.1 installation.

I completely removed all .Net 1.1 components, then reinstalled the RTM followed by 1.1 sp1 and the SQL Compare is now firing up and comparing as it should!

Thanks, Brian, that appears to have done the trick.
    -jon
    Great! Thanks for the update.