Options

ANTS Profiler hangs on startup

KenKen Posts: 3
Hello,

I just downloaded the trial version of ANTS Profiler, hoping to evaluate it. The first thing I tried was profiling an ASP.NET web site I'm working on. I selected "Profile Performance", "ASP.NET web application," and the virtual directory my application resides in. I also selected .NET 2.0 (which is what the application is written in), and chose the default code to profile.

When I clicked "Start," I got the "Please wait/Starting service" message. Unfortunately it just sat there and never moved beyond that point. The message remains there indefinitely.

The ANTS Profiler service is listed as "Started" in the services manager. Nothing else besides ANTS is trying to use port 8087 (yes, I checked netstat -an).

My development PC is running Windows XP SP2 (32bit). I have .NET versions 1.1 and 2.0 both installed. I am developing the app in Visual Studio 2005. IIS version is 5.1. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ken

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ken,

The message relates to the ANTS Profiler program trying to start the ANTS Profiler Service. Are there any entries in the application event log that relate to the ANTS Profiler service and any reason why it can't start?

Typically most problems with Windows are because of permissions. ANTS Profiler service runs as SYSTEM by default, but you may want to change this to the local Administrator account and see if that makes a difference. But please do check the event logs -- if the service doesn't start there should be a good reason why not. You can also try to start the service manually.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking a look at this. The event log originally doesn't record any error messages - just an informational entry that says "Service started successfully" (Source=ANTSProfiler).

After that, the "Please wait/Starting service" message continues to sit there with the spinning hourglass. When I click on one of the links, I get a message stating "There is a profiling session running - please wait until it is finished."

If I go into the services manager and manually stop the service and then attempt to restart it, error messages from the ANTS Profiler start appearing in the event log - but I'm assuming I'm not supposed to do that anyway.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Options
    Hi Ken,

I think you should expect an email from Tom, who is the ANTS program manager. He probably has more insight into this for you. If you do not hear from him, please let me know!