Performance comparison 2000 vs 2005

MatthieuMatthieu Posts: 16
edited November 22, 2006 2:34PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm using SQL Data compare to compare a 2000 vs a 2005 database with image columns. 1 of the tables as 2-3 millions records with 1 image column. I wonder if people have noticed differences in the performance with 2005.

If I compare 2000 vs 2000 it does it in 1 hour, 2000 vs 2005 has been running for 5 hours now.

Thanks

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Matthieu

Thank you for your post.

I am unaware of any performance issues of which you describe in your post.

Are the database schema's identical between the 2000 database and the 2005 database?

How are you connecting to each server, is one of them remote server located elsewhere or are both located within your LAN?

Just to confirm, this degradation in performance you found is during the comparison phase?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Matthieu

Thank you for your post.

I am unaware of any performance issues of which you describe in your post.

Are the database schema's identical between the 2000 database and the 2005 database?

How are you connecting to each server, is one of them remote server located elsewhere or are both located within your LAN?

Just to confirm, this degradation in performance you found is during the comparison phase?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

This is happening during the comparison and everything is identical (same backup restored in both) What I found on the net is that there are steps you need to take post upgrade to 2005 to ensure good performance such as gathering new stats and rebuilding indexes.