Options

Refactor and Prompt

dhammonddhammond Posts: 6 Bronze 2
edited November 20, 2006 10:21AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
Hi,

I have a general question about the long-term goals of the SQL Refactor and its relation to SQL Prompt. I've been trying out SQL Prompt for a little while and like it very much. Since I use Management Studio for all of my sql writing, I may also be interested in SQL Refactor, but it seems to me that there is some overlap in functionality with the two products -- both do some code formatting for instance. I like the idea of a Management Studio plugin rather than an application that starts when Windows starts (though I do think it's nifty the way SQL Prompt works with a variety of editors :-). Are there any plans to combine the functionality of both products in a single plugin?

Thanks,
- David

Comments

• Options
    dhammond wrote:
    Hi,

I have a general question about the long-term goals of the SQL Refactor and its relation to SQL Prompt. I've been trying out SQL Prompt for a little while and like it very much. Since I use Management Studio for all of my sql writing, I may also be interested in SQL Refactor, but it seems to me that there is some overlap in functionality with the two products -- both do some code formatting for instance. I like the idea of a Management Studio plugin rather than an application that starts when Windows starts (though I do think it's nifty the way SQL Prompt works with a variety of editors :-). Are there any plans to combine the functionality of both products in a single plugin?

Thanks,
    - David

Hi David,

the two products complement each other. Prompt is an intellysense tool that assists in typing. Refactor works with existing code and your database schema. Prompt is invoked autmatically while you type, Refactor is not invoked automatically. Prompt also supports other development platforms, like SQL Query Analyzer. You are however absolutely right that the two products have the same target market, i.e. people who write TSQL code and who maintain and design databases. For this reason these two tools, together with SQL Dependency tracker, are available (and can be downloaded once Prompt 3.0 is out ) as a bundle.

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    I am using both Prompt 2 (can't wait for Prompt 3 and better reliability) and Refactor and have been for over a month. I do not see any overlap in their functionality and would not want to work without either product.

Tim
    Denver, CO