Install Error on Trial Product

gkmanngkmann Posts: 3
edited November 18, 2006 10:43AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am trying to install SQL Backup on a standalone Windows 2003 Server and am getting this error message after the install runs for awhile.

Error 1721: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found a similiar post with this error on a virtual machine and have generated an install log file.

Please respond ASAP.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I had a chat with Chris, the person who got your email, about this. I suspect that the problem has to do with your user profile. It looks like (from the file paths in the installer log) you are logged in using a Terminal Server session, so you probably have a mandatory profile (ie one that is deleted when you log off). Mandatory profiles do not work with SQL Backup's licensing because the licensing tries to encrypt some data using an RSA cryptography key from your profile, and with mandatory profiles the key is always invalid.

This can cause the SetupLicensing custom action in the installer to fail, which is what your installer log indicates. I think the easiest thing to do would be to log in locally to the computer's console and then run the setup whilst logged in as local machine administrator. You might also try the local login through Remote Desktop, but I wouldn't offer a guarantee that it will definitely work.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction.
  • Thank you for your help. That resolved the problem and everything is working 100%. Great Tech Suppport, keep up the good work :D