The Notable Timeout Expired Problem

acorcoranacorcoran Posts: 9
edited January 30, 2008 12:14PM in SQL Log Rescue
We're running a licensed version of the latest version of SQL Log Rescue and are having some troubles in our most critical time :) (Murphy's Law). On smaller databases (50MB), I am able to run the Log Rescue (Analysis, etc). When I jump up to intermediate (in our standards) of a 500MB database, I get the famous "Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." This happens during the Analysis phase.

Our C: has 13GB free, so running this on the 500MB database should not be an issue. I've even pointed the TMP environment variable to a different drive (40GB Free), but receive the same error. I'm stumped and have been working with Chris in tech support (via the phone). Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to roll back a couple of transactions from this morning's event.

Aaron

Comments

• Hi Aaron,

Did Chris send you a query to run similar to the one in the code block, below? My suspicion is that Log Rescue is hanging, not due to an over-abundance of log data, but because it can't locate the log file. In other words, if you run this query, and it doesn't ever return, then maybe there is a problem with log rescue. In one case the query never returned because the log file path was relative and Log Rescue couldn't resolve it.
    DECLARE @logfilename nchar(261)
    DECLARE @challange int
    set @challange = 12345
    DECLARE @minFileID int
    set @minFileID = 0
    SET @logfilename  = (select top 1 filename from
    <name of database>..sysfiles1  where (status & 0x40) !=0)
    SET @logfilename  = RTRIM(@logfilename) + '*'
    exec master..xp_LogRescue @challange, @logfilename , @minFileID

• Hi, I executed this query and it never returns, so now I understand why I'm getting those timeouts.

I checked sysfiles1 and the file paths are correct. There are no invalid entries and all paths are absolute.

My DB is very small (5mb) and I have plenty of disk space (13GB).

Version is 1.2.0.29

I also read all the other related posts but no solution yet.

Any other tips?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Aside from the sysfiles issue, there is one other documented cause for this problem involving transactions currently running in the database being analyzed.

Hopefully this helps.
  • Thanks for replying so fast.

I just checked, but there are no processes running on that database, so no open transactions.

Thanks anyway.