Options

Table Level Restore

thomascroththomascroth Posts: 17
edited November 11, 2006 11:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I need to restore a table from a 250+GB database. It looks as though a stored procedure updated more data than was expected. The backup is several weeks old.

I want to restore the table to the database and then compare the data in the current table with the data from the backupp table. I found out that it's not that simple. I can't restore just the table. I need to restore the database. However, I don't have space available of any of my database servers. I do have space available on a file server.

Can I do a restore of the backup (actaully create a "new" database) onto the file server using the restore option in SQLBackup 4? So after the restore, I would have the following configuration:
- Database "A"
- Configuration on db server
- Database files on db server
- Database "B" (Restored database)
- Configuration on db server
- Database files on file server

I can then use DTS to transfer a copy of the needed table from Database "B" to Database "A". Database "B" can then be dropped.

Does this make sense? I'm new at this. Is there a better/cleaner way of doing this?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me!!!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking. I'm afraid your options are a bit limited with SQL Backup. The software is capable of backing up and restoring databases and individual filegroups only, so you would need to restore to an offline/Disaster Recovery server and try to recover the table.

Red Gate offer the SQL Data Compare tool, which can compare and synchronize the table between the two databases.

You may also want to look into Log Rescue, which could possibly 'undo' the transaction without having to restore the database to another server.

I hope this helps!