Selecting Logs

harrybharryb Posts: 6
edited January 30, 2007 2:43PM in SQL Log Rescue
I have just selcted the first 4 logs, out of many days worth.

It has kindly given me all logs.

Why?

Comments

• Hello Harry.

If I'm not mistaken, the question is 'why is Log Rescue showing me more transactions than exist in my transaction log backup files?'. I believe the answer to this is that Log Rescue reads the live database log (ldf file) in addition to the log backups that you have specified. Log Rescue uses a combination of the information in the log backups as well as the information in the log.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
  • You are correct, but I want to see what happened during the logs I have chosen, not the active log.

The only solution I can see is to backup the current log, so making it smaller and try again.

Ok, I am not using the product to recover data, I am trying to find who and when certain data was updated, do I have to purchase Lumingent? I assumed this would have been possible with log rescue.

Harry
    Hello Harry.

If I'm not mistaken, the question is 'why is Log Rescue showing me more transactions than exist in my transaction log backup files?'. I believe the answer to this is that Log Rescue reads the live database log (ldf file) in addition to the log backups that you have specified. Log Rescue uses a combination of the information in the log backups as well as the information in the log.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Harry,

Log Rescue can be aused for auditing in a pinch -- but it's not really designed for that. It's designed to recover data lost as the result of a transaction that went wrong.

You can still filter the results in Log Rescue to show transactions only between a certain time period, but the fact remains that the software needs to analyze the log before it can do anything.
  • Hi Brian,

Is the auditing functionality something that will be made more user friendly in future releases?

Mark