Options

Profiling Release application in Performance Mode fails ...

Hello!

I have a problem runing the ANTS Profiler.
My application behaves normal when starting without the profiler, but when using the profiler, I get the
following error message without seeing any GUI from my application:

"The application that you are profiling has exited without shutting down normally. Profiling will now stop."

The error ocurrs only when doing performance profiling (which is what I need).
Memory profiling does work and start up the application.
The error also only occurs in release configuration, when running the debug configuration it is working.

The application (Windows .NET Application) uses the .NET Framework 2.0 (v2.0.50727),
but I also have Version 1.0.3705 and 1.1.4322 installed.

The operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2.
The ANTS Profiler version is 2.6.0 Build 62.

Best regards,

Martin.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

could you update to AP 2.7? You can do this by running 'check for updates 'from the 'help' menu.

Regards,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Martin,

It sounds as if you application had crashed while under the influence of profiler. Is there any information in the application log at the time that may point out a problem?

I had a similar problem last week where an application could be memory profiled but not performance profiled and the root problem was with cross-assembly trusts. I had fixed this by placing my assembly in the GAC. Maybe this will help you as well? I hope so...
  • Options
    Hello!

I am behind a Internet Firewall.
    Could anybody send me a link to version 2.7?

Best regards,

Martin.
  • Options
    Hi Martin,

You can get it from the FTP server ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/ANTSProfiler.exe. This may help as there have been several tweaks to handle misbehaving applications. Please let us know if it works!
  • Options
    Hi!

Using Version 2.7.0.109 did not change anything.
    Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Martin.
  • Options
    Hi Martin,

Does it work if you register your assembly in the GAC?
  • Options
    Can you try ANTS Profiler 2.7.1? We released this yesterday. We have fixed 1 issue that could cause an app to exit abnormally during performance profiling.

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    Hello!

First of all thanks for your very fast support.
    I used the new version 2.7.1.20, but the errors are still the same.

The problem is that the application requires several different assemblies and also side-by-side files, so registering the App ind the GAC is not that easy ...

Any other suggestions? Do you think it may help to send a LOG file?

Best regards,

Martin.
  • Options
    Hi there,

I'm sorry that the new point release did not fix the problem :( Would it be possible for you to send us your application? We would not need the source code, just the binaries and pdb files.

Thanks,

Tom