Options

Error: Failed to read file list from backup file

kermikermi Posts: 47
edited November 2, 2006 11:28AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've seen a couple of posts for this topic but there does not seem to be a solution.

When trying to restore a database we get the following error message at step 3:

Error: Failed to read file list from backup file

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What is the result when you run the RESTORE FILELISTONLY command manually on the file you are trying to restore? E.g. from within Query Analyzer or SSMS

master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = [<file name>]" '
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    I can't really do that since the data does not reside on our system yet. We depend on receiving data from our customer as a red gate backup. We then turn around and restore the data to our system. However, this is a new set of data and we cannot restore the redgate backup. When I try to run the restore via command line I receive the following error.

SQL Backup log file
    11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM: Red Gate SQL Backup 4.5.0.704, (c) Red Gate Software Ltd 2004 - 2006
    11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM:
    11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM: Restoring DBNAME (database) from:
    C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME01.sqb
    C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME02.sqb
    C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME03.sqb
    C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME04.sqb

11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM: RESTORE DATABASE [DBNAME] FROM DISK = 'C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME01.sqb', DISK = 'C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME02.sqb', DISK = 'C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME03.sqb', DISK = 'C:\backup\zzz\DBNAME04.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'Software_Data' TO 'C:\13Software\DBNAME.MDF', MOVE 'Software_Log' TO 'C:\Software\DBNAME_log.LDF', REPLACE', PASSWORD = 'XXXXXXXXXX'

11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM: Server: Msg 3013
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    11/1/2006 9:53:09 AM: Server: Msg 3205
    Too many backup devices specified for backup or restore; only 64 are allowed.
  • Options
    One possible reason for that error is that the backup files were created using SQL Server 2005, and they are now being restored using SQL Server 2000.

Is this the case?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    Yes that is the case. What's the work around for that???
  • Options
    There is no way to restore a SQL Server 2005 backup onto a SQL Server 2000 instance.

If licensing is an issue, perhaps SQL Server 2005 Express (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/) may be an option, if your database is less than 4 GB?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    I was afraid you were going to say that. I think we may just have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Any issues restoring redgate backups from 2000 to 2005?
  • Options
    Any issues restoring redgate backups from 2000 to 2005?

None.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software