SQL Compare Database names using the /report: feature

Larry IrvingLarry Irving Posts: 5
edited October 23, 2006 1:00PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
We are using SQL Compare to compare point-in-time database snapshots. Each night we create a new snapshot and compare that snapshot to the most recent snapshot that exists from previous runs of the job. When we create the html report to publish to our intranet comparing the two snapshots we get:

SQL Compare Report: 23 Oct 2006 1:05 AM
(local) --> (local)
database_1 --> database_1

I know that the left side of the report is the "older" snapshot and the right side of the report is the snapshot I just created based on the way I formatted the command, but from an audit standpoint they would like to see the file names compared, not the database names, so something like this:

SQL Compare Report: 23 Oct 2006 1:05 AM
(local) --> (local)
snapshot_file_1.snp --> snapshot_file_2.snp

We're using the command line driven by a vbscript and we hope there is a way to do this.

Thanks,
Larry

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Larry,

I can't think of a way to do this. The reports can be customized by modifying the SQLCompareInteractiveReportTemplate.xsl file. This file transforms the raw XML data into the HTML report, and you can use this to change the report formats if you know a bit about transformations.

The report filename doesn't appear in the snapshot, however, so I can't think of any other way to get the filename into the report other than changing the HTML report output after it has been written.