Options

One package for SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005?

John BayleyJohn Bayley Posts: 7
edited October 11, 2006 12:45PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Is it possible to use SQL Packager (v5.1) to generate one database package that can create a database on both SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005? If so, are there any guidelines for doing this and any applicable command-line options?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi John,

Sorry, I don't have any advice about this problem. New packages will be scripted in a way that supports the original database, and upgrade packages will be compatible with the server on the 'left'.

It may be necessary to create two distinct packages, one for SQL 2000 and one for SQL 2005.
  • Options
    [...] New packages will be scripted in a way that supports the original database, and upgrade packages will be compatible with the server on the 'left'.

Thanks for the reply, Brian. When you mention "upgrade" packages above, what do you have in mind?
    It may be necessary to create two distinct packages, one for SQL 2000 and one for SQL 2005.

My testing, thus far, indicates that this is the case. Running a package based on a SQL Server 2000 database against a SQL Server 2005 server results in a collation error, per the thread at:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?p=12110#12110

Running a package based on a SQL Server 2005 database against a SQL Server 2000 server gives a different error:
    An invalid parameter or option was specified for procedure 'sp_addextendedproperty'.

Both packages work fine, however, when run against the same vintage of SQL Server that they were created with.

I would really like to avoid creating separate packages if possible, so if there is any chance of doing so, I'm all ears!

-- John
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi John,

Upgrade packages are the second type of package where you click the 'Upgrade an existing database' checkbox. This is the type of package that diffs the two databases and generates a package that will make the second like the first.
  • Options
    Upgrade packages are the second type of package where you click the 'Upgrade an existing database' checkbox. This is the type of package that diffs the two databases and generates a package that will make the second like the first.

Brian,

Thanks for the clarification.

-- John
This discussion has been closed.