Options

Clustering and Multiple Instances

richardericharde Posts: 9
edited September 27, 2006 11:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi Joyce or anyone reading this,

I was wanting to know whether anyone has deployed redgate onto a sql 2000 virtual server. I am wanting to employ Redgate as the standard backup process due to the compression and encryption facilities exposed by this but want to know whether there are any issues with doing this. I have 2 virtual servers one active/passive and another as a 3+1.

Also, does redgate support multi instances.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Comments

• Options
    Hello Richard,

The complete answer is on the forums already:
    http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=1880

This should address any concerns you may have about SQL Backup on a cluster.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your reply. The link provided has answered my questions.

Cheers
    Rich
  • Options
    I've looked at that post and it's not actually helped.

I'm running the sqbserversetup -i clustername

and sql backup still references the local machine for the backups. I still recieve error messages regarding the installation of the services. My database is called clientname-sql and resolves via DNS. I have the sql services running under a domain account (dba) and am installing sqlbackup as an administrator.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gavin
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What is your SQL Server virtual server name, and the instance name (if not the default instance)?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    petey wrote:
    What is your SQL Server virtual server name, and the instance name (if not the default instance)?

Hi Petey,

Thanks for the quick response, the virtual server name is bestof-sql. I don't believe that we configured a seperate instance name. When running the install I simply get (Local), as I said above the -i option doesn't seem to change where the product tries to install. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gavin
  • Options
    Let's try to determine if the problem is with the GUI, or with the setup.

If you connect to the SQL Server virtual server using Query Analyzer or Management Studio, are you at least able to backup a database using sqlbackup e.g.

EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = [c:\model.sqb] WITH INIT" '

Do ensure that the service has been started, and the service name should read 'SQL Backup Agent'.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    Hi Petey,

This is part of the problem, the sql backup services don't install.

Cheers,
    Gavin
  • Options
    When you run SQBServerSetup on the active node, and select the (LOCAL) instance, what errors do you encounter during the installation?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Options
    Hi Petey,

We got round this in the end by setting up a single SQL server, performing the restore and then using the standard export tools.

Thanks for your assistance though.

Regards,
    Gavin