Options

CompareDatabases gives system error

cook0002cook0002 Posts: 20
edited September 22, 2006 4:50AM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
Firstly, I'm believe I'm using the latest version of SQL Data Compare Engine (5.2.0.40).

I am comparing a database on SQL 7 with a copy on SQL 2000. Structurally, the tables differ in that the char and varchar fields on the 2000 database specifically have a COLLATE against them.

When using the SQL Data Compare GUI, I get a warning saying that there may be unexpected results when comparing the tables. Indeed, where matches should occur between textual primary keys (uppercase ones only - lowercase are fine), they are identified as being unique records on each database.

When I compare the databases within my C# application, I get the following error:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in redgate.sqldatacompare.engine.dll

Added information: System error.

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Again, you'll need to wrap your code up in a Try/Catch block and catch the SqlException and write the exception's .Message property to the console. The error message will help you determine the cause of the error, which is more than likely a logon failure to the SQL Server.
  • Options
    Good lesson for all of us there.

The error was in fact a SELECT permission denial on one of my tables.

Many thanks.