feature request: dependency report

EricEric Posts: 35
edited October 1, 2009 4:39PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
Being able to print/export a dependency report would be really useful.
Ability to choose which objects also (I have a db with 900+ tables) because impact analysis usually involves a subset of objects.

Beging able to save the report configurations with the project would also be useful. A project usually encompass many sub-systems and impact analysis is often done on the same parts on a recurrent basis (version to version)

thanks

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Eric,

Sorry we have just got around to looking at your post. In dependency tracker, it is possible to export either a PNG (bitmap) or EMF (vector) representation of the dependency graph, as well as the raw XML data. I think perhaps more formats would be a good idea due to the sheer scale of some of the diagrams (Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) is supposed to be really good for this).
  • Brian,

I do extract in those formats. What I was refering to is not exporting the view itself but only the content of the Dependencies Panel in the lower right.

that small panel gives a nice quick summary of what other objects may be impacted by a modification of the current (selected) object. In a database with thousands of objects, it is real useful for quick analysis and I have found myself wanting to print that list on a 2 minutes notice before going into a meeting...but no way to print or export it. Just a list of Uses and Used By.

Just being able to copy the tree to the clipboard (as text) would be ok.

Eric
  • I started to evaluate DT2 and find it useful from a visual point of view.

However it falls short in its ability to generate reports that can be use from automation programs. The current XML report cannot be customized. Neither is the format within the PDF file. It is a "All or Nothing".

Like the previous poster, the ability to export the content of the bottom right window (Dependency) in a variety of format would be very useful.

Whish List:

- Export the Dependency window content to XML, CSV, ....
    - Limit the output in the dependency window to: "Uses Only" "Used By Only" "Both".
    - Add the ability to filter the content of "Uses" and "Used by" by object type(s). Ex: I want to see the relationship between tables only. I do not want to know which SP uses which table.
    -When navigating the "Objects in Project" using the down/up arrow, the content of the Dependency window should change automatically.