>
    > jp
    >
    >
    > "news.red-gate.com" <noSpam@noSpam.noSpam> wrote in message
    > news:KNZ$HEu%23DHA.1220@server53...
    > > I get the same error (80041035), and I log as "sa" (SQL login, not
    > > integrated security).
    > > Tried comparing between many combinations of SQL Servers, all failed.
    > Even
    > > comparing a local database to itself fails.
    > > SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare work ok.
    > > I have no DTS packages at all - I tried to run the DTS Compare in order
    to
    > > compare jobs (which are accessible). Just for the sake of testing, I
    > tried
    > > creating a DTS package, and it worked, with the same login (sa).
    > > I could not get DTS Compare to work at all.
    > >
    > > Ranen
    > > GDH
    > >
    > >
    > > "Neil Davidson" <neil.davidson@red-gate.com> wrote in message
    > > news:IUmIPRUqDHA.1500@server53...
    > > > Kristian,
    > > >
    > > > Can you access all the DTS packages in the repository from within SQL
    > > > Enterprise Manager?
    > > >
    > > > Yours,
    > > >
    > > > Neil Davidson
    > > > "Kristian Giil" <kristian@adp.no> wrote in message
    > > > news:V1ebJ%23EpDHA.1492@server53...
    > > > > When I try to register my local server, I get "General repository
    > error
    > > :
    > > > > 80041035.
    > > > >
    > > > > I have tried all forms of authentication, and also tried to register
    > the
    > > > > (local) server with its real name.
    > > > >
    > > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > >
    > > > > Kristian Giil
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Phil,

In addition to making sure that your login has access to the msdb database, there are a few other objects that you may have specifically been denied access to by your dba.

Please make sure that you have select rights to the RTblSites table in the msdb database as well as execute rights to sp_get_dtspackage. This should allow DTS Compare to work properly.
  • Options
    Hi,

I am a new Red-Gate user, and I'm trying to run DTS Compare for the first time. I am trying to compare packages in two instances on the same machine - my local workstation.

The default instance is a standard SS 2000, while the second is an MSDE named instance containing a subset of the packages on the default instance.

When I run DTS-Compare, it registers the first (default) instance OK, but as soon as the dialog box caption changes to indicate the second instance I get the error. Same error whether I use "(Local)" or the actual machine name. I am logged in as a member of the local administrator's group, which maps to sa in both databases. I have no trouble editing any of the packages.

One clue however, may be that the packages reference global temp tables which are present when the packages run, but not normally. Some also reference a database which, again, is attached when the package runs but not otherwise. The same is true for both databases however, and only one fails to register. I get the same error when editing packages in either database if I try to do so when a resource is missing, unless I use detached editing.

I have run a SQL Profiler trace on the failing instance while DTS Compare fails. Nothing seems to jump out as an error, and I can run all statements manually in SQL Analyzer without error. There doesn't seem to be a way to attach the trace here however.

Please contact me if you want a trace copy and I'll be happy to send it.

TIA,
    John Ryan
    john.r.ryan1@navy.mil
  • Options
    Hi John,
    ...but you're not getting a general repository error just from the 'choose databases' dialogue, are you? Seems a bit improbable... Are you getting some other error?
  • Options
    The dialog box I get when I start DTS Compare is titled "Comparison Settings", and I've never gotten past that so I don't know if I would get any other errors anywhere else. I did try to compare (local) to (local). The registration phase completed, but the program became unresponsive after that. I waited a few minutes, then killed it. System was busy though, so I may not have waited long enough. I have about 30 packages, some of them fairly complex.

I have run SQL Compare on the same two database however, and it works fine (fast too).

No errors noted elsewhere, but as a new user I haven't done much with it yet. The DTS comparison is the part I need to get done first.
  • Options
    Hi John,

Can I send you a zipped archive of a patch to the software? It's about 1MB and may make DTS Compare work a bit better.
  • Options
    Sure can. Zipped attachments usually get stripped off here on base though. Please send to my personal e-mail if possible, as per my forum registration. I get enough spam now, so I hesitate to include it in clear text unless absolutely necessary. Include any diagnostic code you want, and I'll send the results back to you at whatever address you like.

John Ryan
  • Options
    Using the DTS Compare ...

When I try to create a server snapshot I get "Unable to create server snapshot - General Repository Error: 80041035".

When I try to compare to servers I get the error "General Repository Error: 80041035".

SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare work ok.

I have full licenses for all products and the latest versions.

thanks, Mark
  • Options
    Hello,

Are you registering an MSDE server? There is a sticky post about DTS Compare not working on MSDE because DTS Compare is assuming that you have metadata services installed because it's normally part of SQL Server.

If this is the case, I'd be happy to send you a patch for this via email.
  • Options
    I am not sure. I checked with my DBA and there is metadata installed. I am running a standard install of SQL Server 2000 advanced edition. Our installs are pretty standard, although I would not have sa rights. I can execute DTS packages on both development and production (my two compare points) but can only edit on development. I did try to create a server snapshot from dev but get the same error. any ideas?
  • Options
    So I need SA rights to run DTS compare? Our DBA has been successfully able to run this tool as SA. Are there specific privs that can be granted to our developers so they do not have to be in the sa role and still use the DTA compare tool? thanks, Mark
  • Options
    Hello,

If you want to compare server attributes, such as software version numbers, etc, then you do need SA rights. But you can change the options in DTS Compare so that it only compares DTS packages. For that, your normal access rights to the MSDB database should work.

Since the program does some other things, though, you do need exec permissions in msdb for a few stored procedures and xp_msver in the MASTER db. By default these are executable by anyone with PUBLIC role access.
This discussion has been closed.