Options

Restore issues with Eval version 4

PLeMasterPLeMaster Posts: 2
edited August 10, 2006 9:45PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I install the eval version of SQL Backup v4 on a Windows 2003 server running SQL 2005 and am having a problem with a restore.

Here’s what I did to test.

I did a full backup on our test SharePoint DB
I when into SharePoint and made a change
I tried to a restore but received an error that the DB was in use
I went into SQL 2005 admin and put the DB offline after shutting down SharePoint services
I tried the restore again but am receiving a SQL error 3159 saying the tail of the log for the database has not been backed up.
It’s telling me to use BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log but I don’t know how to get this done. Also I can’t get any further then this and it will not let me backup the DB again because it does not show up in the list.

For the test I only wanted to restore what I backed up to see if the DB with the change I made was back to it’s original state.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In SQL 2005, when you restore over an existing database, SQL Server checks if you have made a transaction log backup that covers the latest transactions. If not, it raises error 3159.

If you don't want SQL Server to perform that check, you need to perform the restore with the REPLACE option. In SQL Backup, in the Restore Wizard, on Step 3, select the 'Force restore over existing database' option.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8