Options

Deleting temporary cache

DBA72DBA72 Posts: 19
edited August 8, 2006 9:02AM in SQL Log Rescue
I am doing some testing of SQL Log Rescue. I am testing several scenarios of how we could use this tool and what I am doing is checking what you can see in a scenario of different recovery models.

My tests are not giving me what I expect and I think this is because the LDF is copied to the computer running log rescue. So when I change some settings in the db that I am analyzing (e.g. run checkpoint and truncate log) and then refresh the project in Log Rescue, I still see the transactions when I expect not to see any.

Can anyone tell me how I delete this local data?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Log Rescue does extract information from the LDF file and copies it to the local workstation. This information is help in the %TMP% location (usually in your user profile). I'm not sure if cleaning it out from there will help, but by all means give it a try if you think it will solve the problem.
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer Brian. I checked the files that are created in the temp directory but they seem to get deleted when I close the application. For some reason I am not getting the results I expect from my test. Here is what I am doing In QA (I've added in comments). Can you explain why I still see transactions in a database with recovery model of simple after I've cleared the active part of the log?

create database RedGateRecovery1
    go
    use RedGateRecovery1
    go
    create table table1 (col1 int, col2 int, col3 int, inserted datetime default getdate())
    go
    --populate table
    declare @val1 int, @val2 int, @val3 int, @cnt int
    set @cnt = 0

while @cnt < 1000
    begin
    set @val1 = round((rand()*100000),0)
    set @val2 = round((rand()*100000),0)
    set @val3 = round((rand()*100000),0)

insert RedGateRecovery1.dbo.table1 (col1,col2,col3) select @val1, @val2, @val3

set @cnt = @cnt + 1
    end

--check data
    select * from RedGateRecovery1.dbo.table1

/***SCENARIO 1***/
    alter database RedGateRecovery1
    set recovery simple
    go
    sp_dboption 'RedGateRecovery1'
    go

/***Initial backup***/
    backup database RedGateRecovery1 to disk = 'D:\Data\MSSQL\Backup\RedGateRecovery\RGRecoveryTest_FULL.bak'
    with init
    go

/***Random transactions***/
    update RedGateRecovery1.dbo.table1
    set col1 = 1, col2 = 2, col3 = 3
    where col1 between 00000 and 50000
    go

/*
    CHECK THE SQL RESCUE TOOL NOW AND SEE THE TRANSACTIONS
    */

/**Clear active part of log***/
    checkpoint
    go
    backup log RedGateRecovery1 with truncate_only
    go

/*
    AT THIS POINT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO RERUN SQL RESCUE AND TOLD THAT THERE ARE NO TRANSACTIONS TO SEE BUT I STILL SEE THE TRANSACTION
    */
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I think it's because you need to create the database, create the table, do a full backup, populate the table, and then run log rescue, specifying the full backup file that you created earlier.

It probably also doesn't help that tthe database is apparently using the simple recovery model. Log Rescue works best when the recovery model is full because the transactions are retained in the log.