Options

Unable To Restore System DB's

PDReganPDRegan Posts: 12
edited August 2, 2006 4:24PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi Guys,
Any ideas the best way to get around the following errors when attempting to restore the system db's, the problem has arose due to the fact that after installing SQL 2000 SP4 our system runs like a 3 legged dog, even after applying all the so-called hotfixes to the system.
Its been decided to go back to SP3a, Ive installed a test server with a clean version of SQL upto SP3a and with the company DB restored it works as it did before SP4, which proves to me that sp4 was microsofts way of pushing everbody to 2005, it may be pushing us to Oracle.
Anyway i digress

My problem is that any DTS packages that are saved to the msdb cant be restored. My only workaround currently is to restore a server upto SP4 again and export them out.

Following is the error msg we recieve:

Restoring msdb (database) from:
D:\SQL Data\BackUp\FULL_msdb_20060801_093858.sqb

Server: Msg 3013
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
Server: Msg 3168
The backup of the system database on device SQLBACKUP_547B8847-2EED-44DE-A296-091D7B05A834 cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219767) than this server (134218488).

SQL error code: 3168

Cheers
Pete
There are only 10 types of people, those who get binary jokes and those who dont.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Pete,

I don't think that we can help in this case, because the issue is that SQL 2000 requires you to restore a database to the same version (including service pack!) of SQL as the server that did the backup. SQL Backup can't work around this limitation.
  • Options
    As a work around it might be worth having a look at using SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare (you would need to move the DTS packages by hand) - this should allow you to shift the database from SP4 back to SP3a without loss of data.

- James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd