ANTS memory profiler causes unhandled crash

When we run our application under the memory profiler it crashes. It crashes in a way that throws no exception, no error, and does not log any error messages, either in our application, in the profiler log messages, or any OS diagnostic reporting tools. It simply terminates without cause.

Of course, the app runs fine outside the ANTS memory profiler.

I have traced it down to the following line of code:
new System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer(type);

Under the profiler this statement causes the application to quit mysteriously. Which is really weird as this is a call to the .NET framework and does not really involve our code.

This happens under Window XP SP 2 fully patched, with both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 installed. Though I have tested it under other machines without .NET 2.0 installed and we still get the same problem. No matter what hardware or OS, we have never gotten it to work correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks much,
James

Comments

• I have has some additional information that may be helpful...

First, it should be noted that the ANTS performance profiler works fine. The strange crash only happens when profiling for memory.

Secondly, we get the same problem with the CLR Profiler from Microsoft. I’m not sure if ANTS uses some of the same techniques or not...
  • Hi there,

sorry that the memory profiler is causing problems. Is there any chance you could send us your application, or a cut down version that exhibits the same problem?

If so just mail it through to support@redgate.com

Regards,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software