Appears to be a bug to me...

edited July 17, 2006 2:20PM in SQL Log Rescue
I downloaded the trial and was trying to view contents of transactions within a log file backup. This is what I have notice...

I pick yesterday log file on a server that does not truncate the logs... it works.

I pick yesterday log file on a server where I truncate the logs at night... it does not work.

My goal is to view a transaction that occurred during a 2 hour window on my server that happens to be one that truncates the log after reindexing.

Now I'm sure to someone that makes sense but it does not to me since all I'm concerned with is this 2 hour window from the previous day.

The message I get is... "this file has been ignored because it contains no relevant backup information."

I only get the message when I choose a log file that is prior to the log being truncated from what I can tell.

Is it possible for the application just to show me the entries in a single transaction log file as well? During my testing on a different server I chose a file from the previous day. That file has 15 minutes of transaction log backup data within it (this is a server btw where the log is not truncated after indexing). Not only did I get the 15 minutes of transactions I wanted but I got the active log too. What a pain... all this additional processing took place for something I didn't care to see.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Normally, the error message indicates that there is a gap in the transaction history. Log Rescue needs the full backup, and then a consistent chain of log backups leading back to the full backup. If there is a gap in the history, the backup files will be ignored. I think that may be the problem here.
  • My normal backups are litespeed backups and the current day translogs work while previous day does not... that is... on the box where I truncate the log after indexing. So I'm not understanding where the full backup comes into play here. Also if there is a gap is transaction history... so what, display a warning about the gap and then display the transaction available. In my case that would be perfect because the issue I have is that we were looking for a single delete transaction between 2pm and 4pm which I could not retrieve.

Is there a way that a single file transactions can be displayed instead of the "file select" + live log?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I don't know the specifics in great detail, but since Log Rescue is primarily designed to recover data, it needs to have an initial state of the table schema and data to work with. If it doesn't, it can't reconstruct an entire table drop, which is one of the design goals.
  • Maybe I'm looking for the wrong product... If I follow you correctly your product will allow me to restore an drop table which I can see to be useful. My case I'm wanting to see the data within a single transaction log backup. I tend to get about 3-5 calls a month where we need to find records that were changed or deleted by mistake, so in my case I don't need to see all of the logs... just one or two files.
    Hello,

I don't know the specifics in great detail, but since Log Rescue is primarily designed to recover data, it needs to have an initial state of the table schema and data to work with. If it doesn't, it can't reconstruct an entire table drop, which is one of the design goals.