Unable to see source code

ramram Posts: 2
Hi,

I am trying to use memory profiling. I am unable to view the source code. I have copied the pdb files to the application location as specified in the FAQ. It also does not prompt me to locate the file.

Can any one help me regarding this.

Ram

Comments

• Hi there,

during memory profiling you will only be able to see the source code for the method that created the object you are looking at. Many objects will be created by methods in the .NET Framework libraries, for which there is no source code available. You can verify whether this is the case by looking at the 'Source file' column in the 'All objects' window, or by looking at the call stack.

If you still think that something is going wrong, could you email a set of memory profiling results to support@redgate.com?

Thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • Hi,

Even if we do have a source code in .NET, we need to compile the application in Debug mode. That is when the source code is visible.

Else, even with source code it does not show the code.

This is what we have experienced at our end.

Request any support person in Red gate to confirm the same thanks.

Regards,
    Lakshmi
    Lakshmi
  • Hi,

Yes, this is the case - or, more specifically, you will only see source code if there is a PDB file associated with the module you're looking at. By default these are generated for debug builds, but not for release builds.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate