Options

What happens when I upgrade to 4.5

pokhreapokhrea Posts: 19
edited July 10, 2006 10:14PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi ,

I am having problems in the upgrade to 4.5. Red gate was working fine with the earlier version(4.2) but when I perfromed the upgrade it now says expired trial.
When I try to activate through email there is no code and when I do it though the Internet it says activation request was not in the correct format[The root element is missing].

Now my backup does not run anymore please also post about reverting back to the earlier version since I have tried this on 2 machines and both have this same problem. Pls post solution ASAP

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When you run the following:

DECLARE @request nvarchar(512)
    EXEC master..sqbutility 1019, 'XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX', @request OUTPUT
    SELECT @request

where 'XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX' represents your serial number, are there any values returned in @request?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Yes thats returns a value. I copied the exe file and reran it and now it seems to be fixed. The other problem is now in a named instance on a server it shows that 4.5 is available but still is on the old version although the default instance is on 4.5.

I ran the exe manually and choose the named instance but it is still not upgrading. The other thing I noticed is that is is also stopping the service for this instance(sql backup agent) while it is upgrading.

Any Ideas why this might be happening.

Thanks
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When you perform the upgrade, 2 operations are performed:

1. the service application (SQBCoreService.exe) needs to be replaced. To do this, the service needs to be stopped before it can be replaced. It will be restarted once the upgrade has complete. Even if it's not restarted, the service is started when you run a SQL Backup backup/restore command, if the SQL Server service user has adequate rights.

2. the extended stored procedure (xp_sqlbackup.dll) needs to be replaced. To do this, SQL Server needs to unload the DLL from it's memory space, using the DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE) command.

xp_sqlbackup.dll is found in the Binn folder of the relevant SQL Server instance. You can check if this file has been upgraded. If not, one possibility is that you are running SQL Server 2000, and have ran 2 or more SQL Backup commands simulataneously at least once since SQL Server was last restarted. This prevents the extended stored procedure library from being freed.

You can either restart the SQL Server instance and immediately perform the upgrade (before SQL Backup is ever used), or stop the instance, perform the upgrade, then restart the instance.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8