Options

Error backing up

MikeShepardMikeShepard Posts: 12
edited June 19, 2006 10:16AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am receiving an error (from the GUI or calling stored procs) doing backups on a server I just upgraded from 3.2 to 4.2. Here's the error:

Error contacting the SQL Backup Agent. Check that the SQL Backup Agent service has been started for this server.
Error : 5 (Access is denied)

The SQLBackup Agent is running, and I've changed it to be anything from my account, to the account running sql server and the agent, to a domain admin. Don't understand what the "access denied" is referring to.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mike,

If you havn't already could you please try the steps outlined in this thread: http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=1736 If these steps do not resolve your issues then please let me know and we can look into this further.

Thanks,

- James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I've tried using sa and the sa password, and blanks. I also granted the server admin role to the 2 nt accounts that I have been trying (but they were already sysadmins)

Error contacting the SQL Backup Agent. Check that the SQL Backup Agent service has been started for this server.
    Error : 5 (Access is denied)
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Mike,

We've had two reports of the SQL Backup Agent not being able to connect back to the SQL Server even though the server allowed Windows authentication and the account that the SQL Backup Agent runs as was in the BUILTIN\Administrators group of the SQL Server.

The solution in both cases was to go into add/remove programs control panel, choose the SQL Backup Server Components for the server instance, uninstall them, and run SQBServerSetup.exe on the local server to re-install them.
  • Options
    I'll try that and let you know. I've repeated this and had the same results on several machines. Fortunately, uninstalling V4 and re-installing v3 has worked fine.
  • Options
    Same results using local install of server components (as opposed to the remote install)