Restore to another server

brentbrent Posts: 4
edited June 4, 2006 11:51PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am testing the SQL Backup product and wanted to save a database on one server onto a USB external disk. This went ok. I then transferred the USB disk to another server and wanted to restore the database. In step 1 of the restore I selected browse to backup files and although I had entered the directory where the file is located in the "backup directory" of the "options" the backup file is not shown. How can I restore this database from the USB Disk?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The Directory Browser in SQL Backup lists only files on fixed drives. If the path for the USB drive does not show up, you can enter the path and file name directly into the 'File name' input box and click 'Add'.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks for the prompt reply, but when I select the "Browse to backup files" option from Step 1 of 4 from the restore menu all I get is the Server name drop down box and underneath a box which I can't enter anything into - the "back" & "next" buttons are greyed out and the only thing I can click on is "cancel". I was able to restore the file using the command line in Query Analyzer, however the idea is to be able to restore using the GUI.
    Below the box, there should be a text input area, where you can type in the file name manually, and beside that, a button which when clicked will bring up a file browser. If those items are not visible, could you pls try resizing the window?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Underneath the Servername is a box which I can't enter anything into and no matter how I re-size the window I can't see anything else.
    Could you pls send me screenshots of the that page, for both the 'Select from backup history' and 'Browse to backup files' options, to peter dot yeoh at redgate.com.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software