Does a Comparision Feature in Performance Profiler Exist?

Hi,

Do we have a comparision option between two Performance Profiles as available in Memory Snapshots?

I require it is because I need to identify the performance bottleneck between the runs of a block of logic. This block is spread across many different files and projects. For the first time it is executed, I find that it takes more time (due to initialization routines) but from the second time onwards the time reduces.
Currently, I am manually searching the performance differences from two performance snapshots line by line - which is toooooooo tedious.

In case the feature is absent, is there any other alternative?

Warm Regards,
Rajesh.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Rajesh,

This is something we're aware of a need for, but don't know if it will ever appear as a feature. It would be possible for you to build a quick .NET application that can do a comparison of results that have been exported as XML. Maybe a bit of a console application that can read the XML looking for a particular method name in two or three different XML profiler results and write the time deltas between the different results to the console. Or something like that.

Of course now that I think about it, it would also be important that your test scenarios are exactly the same so that the number of iterations of a particular method don't differ. Otherwise, comparing the results would not be incredibly useful.