Options

I cannot license our software with the full version. Help??

compesoftcompesoft Posts: 12
edited May 16, 2006 12:18PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
I have ensured that I have a valid version 5.1 SQL Comparison and Synchronization Toolkit serial number (I registered the software when it said activate full version).

I added a licenses.licx file to my VB.NET project in Visual Studio with the lines:
RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine

I have compiled my application, but when I run it on a outside computer, it says that my trial version has expired and I need to enter the serial number or quit. Am I supposed to give out our serial number to all of my clients or am I missing something?

Note: If I run the .exe file on the development machine, it works just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

you do not need to distribute your serial number to all your clients. I have just tried your scenario with the SQL Compare VB code snippets that ship with the product. I do not see the trial screen when I run the .exe on an unlicensed machine.

Are you using VS.NET 2003 or 2005?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I am using 2003. I did get it to work by removing the licenses.licx file and then recreating the file. Very strange....

:)

Sean
  • Options
    I've seen something like this before. Visual Studio 2003 doesn't seem to rebuild the licenses all the time so if you do change them make sure you rebuild your solution.

Glad it's working for you now anyway.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    You may also want to make sure licenses.licx is added to the project as an 'Embedded Resource'. Content, and the other build actions, do not cause the licensing to be invoked. Possibly the reason that it works after recreating the file is that the build action had changed to the wrong option.

Visual Studio does get terribly confused when you make changes to a project's embedded resources, so it is a very good idea to rebuild the project if you change licenses.licx.