Options

Limit Error Reports from older versions?

CodeGuruCodeGuru Posts: 13
edited September 5, 2014 8:27AM in SmartAssembly
We've been using the error reporting feature of SmartAssembly for years. Over those years we've released hundreds of new updates.

Is there a way to silently reject error reports that are from older versions?

There's no point in us looking at an error report submitted by a user using software that's 2+ years old.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there,

There's no way to do this from within the SmartAssembly UI, sorry to say. :/

However, you could edit the database where SmartAssembly stores error reports to maybe create a trigger to prevent reports from assemblies built before a certain date from being inserted into the db. Alternatively, you could just run a query/stored procedure occasionally which will delete unwanted reports from the ExceptionReports table.

For example, a query to do the latter if you're using the SQL database option:

USE SmartAssembly;
    GO
    DELETE FROM ExceptionReports WHERE AssemblyID IN (SELECT AssemblyID FROM Builds WHERE BuildDate < '2012-06-20 10:05:41.100' )

Please note though that altering the database is not supported--it relies heavily on foreign keys and accidentally deleting needed rows (especially from the Builds and Projects tables) could potentially cause a lot of problems for viewing error reports. That said, please make sure to backup your database before doing anything!

Hope this information helps!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Thanks Jessica.

I made a trigger of "AFTER INSERT" using the DELETE FROM line you posted and my own date range.

It works very well.

I think I may modify it further one of these days to limit it to builds within the last 30 days OR the last build for any project.