Options

Only one field description change allowed

kraylkrayl Posts: 3
edited September 25, 2014 11:28AM in SQL Doc
I am updating the field descriptions.
In the 3.0 version, I make a change to the text. Then I update a second description. Now there are 2 sets of icons that will either update the text or delete. I select to update the description thinking that this will perform better than the previous version and update all changes in the database. Instead the entire panel showing the table hangs with no other updates allowed until I select a different table and reselect the original table.
I started this in version 2 of SQLDoc where I was able to make multiple updates to the table prior to updating the database with all changes.
This new version makes SQLDoc completely inefficient and unusable.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'm sorry that SQL Doc doesn't seem to be performing well. Updating the description runs a query on the database that updates an extended property on the database that you are documenting. it should be fairly quick, but it sounds like the SQL Server is not processing the query in a timely fashion. Is this behavior evident on all databases and servers, or just one?
  • Options
    I don't think I am being very clear.

SQLDOC2 allowed the user to make multiple edits to the table or field descriptions and apply all of the edits at once.

SQLDOC3 only allows the user to make 1 edit per update and then locks up after the update until selecting another table or object.

This is the case on every instance and database that I have accessed.
  • Options
    I've got exactly the same problem, in previous versions I was able to create documentation in 1-2 days.
    Now with these problems it is almost impossible to create any docs :(

Hope You will fix it.
  • Options
    Can you please clarify "multiple edits"? I do not fully understand what/where you are editing. Is this about editing extended properties directly on the SQL Server?

As SQL Doc is almost completely rewritten for v3 it would not be possible to simply go through SQL Doc's code and compare to see what has changed and solve the problem that way. So from my perspective I have to throw away comments about how it used to work in the previous version and concentrate on what/where the problem is in this version, try to reproduce it, and pass the reproduction on to development so they can do whatever they do.
  • Options
    In SQL Doc 2, when you edit an extended property (description) on a column, it opened a dialog where you could save the change or cancel. I do not see the ability to edit and save multiple extended properties at one time.

If SQL Doc 3 is "hanging" when attempting to edit the extended property, can we please identify that as the issue as there is more chance of getting that fixed than "rolling back" a UI change that has been determined to make a cleaner, more usable UI.
  • Options
    It looks like that whenever a description is entered and saved to the database, the page with the comments locks up, and doesn't allow you to save any other descriptions you have entered, or even scroll the page or work with any other fields on that page. You have to select another object (in the object tree to the left), then reselect the previous object, and make changes to only one object at a time (on the right). It doesn't popup a window for multiple object saving like SQL Doc 2 did.
    I should also point out that I am on Windows 8.1, connecting SQL Doc 3 to SQL Server 2012 CU7.
  • Options
    Is this when you exec sp_addextendedproperty on the database in an SSMS query window to add an MS_Description at the same time SQL Doc's preview window is open? I tried that and it was not exhibiting the same lock-up in my case.
  • Options
    No, it is not an external process that is conflicting. SQL Docs 3 is freezing up the details frame after you hit the "Save changes to database" button. You cannot click on another button or field, or scroll in that window. But, you can select another object in the tree frame view, then reselect the object you were working on, and add something else, but you can only work one description at a time. I have a screen cap video of what is happening, if you would like that. It shows the clicks with the circle, so you can see me trying to click on things, and it not working. Let me know where or how to get the attachment zip file (about 5 MB) to you.
  • Options
    You may upload your screencast to ftp://Z25737:3ugFXxA1@supportftp.red-ga ... ers/Z25737 if you are able to use FTP.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I am receiving an error when trying to connect. The error is

Squid sent the following FTP command:

CWD users

and then received this reply

Permission denied

It looks like I cannot go into that directory. Please advise.