Still waiting for Port 80

Hi, When I attempt to profile my web application ANTS says, "There was a problem starting the profiler. Timed out waiting for port 80 to become available. Please check the error log for more details." The errors are below.

My web site already runs on port 80 (searching the knowledge base, this would have seemed to be the likely problem). It uses an application pool running under the Network Service account; I've also tried changing it to LocalSystem The application starts/stops/run fine when not attempting to run the profiler.

Any idea what might be going wrong? Thanks a lot, -Mike

I get two errors in the event log.

First error:
Unable to start profiler - exception details System.Exception: Timed out waiting for port 80 to become available

Server stack trace:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController._5(String )
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfileIISController.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String url)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfilingSession.StartProfiler()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Windows.Forms.MethodInvoker.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at _3._4(IAsyncResult )

Second error:

The worker process failed to initialize the http.sys communication or the w3svc communication layer and therefore could not be started. The data field contains the error number.
0000: b7 00 07 80 ·..€

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I think you might have come across some outdated bit of information. From v2.0, ANTS Profiler checks the correct port number; the website doesn't need to be running on 80. We have, however, neglected to update the error message so it still complains about port 80.

Which IIS version/OS platform does this occur on, and is there more than one website on the IIS installation?
  • IIS 6 on 2003 Server.

I'm happy to report that, at the moment, I'm not seeing this problem. It appears to be sporadic, as yesterday I tried many times without success, even restarting the box a few times. This morning I tried again and it worked.
  • OK, no sooner than I post a reply saying "it's working now" than the same error is occurring again. Now when I try to profile performance or memory Ants appears like it is working, a browser window opens to my webservice page but it can't load because IIS looks like it's not started (or, judging by the error message, perhaps it starts then immediately shuts down). Error message follows:

The worker process failed to initialize the http.sys communication or the w3svc communication layer and therefore could not be started. The data field contains the error number.

(bytes) 0000: b7 00 07 80 ·..€
    (text) 0000: 800700b7
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you're in the habit of changing your IIS configuration a lot then you may want to try opening a command-line and running IISRESET before profiling. This seems to help sometimes.