Options

Problems with formatting

mlukasmlukas Posts: 12
edited October 27, 2016 5:17AM in SQL Doc
I am having a number of issues.

1. Line breaks in MS_Description are not preserved in the generated Word and PDF documents. This makes it difficult to read the output.

2. Text entered into the Header field on the Cover Page also appears within the title block for each object.

3. If the Author field is left empty on the Cover Page, "Author" is still inserted into the footer.

4. The formatting of footers in a PDF document is wildly inconsistent. It looks fine on some pages, on other pages parts are missing and on others everything is squished into the first 1/4 of the page.

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your post. Sorry about the troubles you are having with SQL Doc. I have logged a bug report for your last 3 issues, and the first one, please see below:

1. For this issue you can workaround it by typing "ctrl-enter" for line breaks in the description
    2. This has been logged as a bug under SDOC-1625
    3. This has been logged as a bug under SDOC-1626
    4. This has been logged as a bug under SDOC-1627

In regards to the bugs, these will be reviewed by our Product Managers to determine if and when these might be implemented in future versions of the tool. Sorry about the inconvenience this may be causing.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • Options
    Thanks Steve.

1. Will 1 be addressed at some point?

When you say typing "Ctrl-Enter", I assume you mean in SQL Doc itself?

I tried that, and the output was no different.

In our case, most of the MS_Description fields are created automatically. We have a script that runs through and pulls the headers out of our stored procedures and functions and adds them to MS_Description so that SQL Doc will pick them up.

What is the actual character(s) that need to be in the MS_Description text so that SQL Doc will put a line break into the output?

Is there are date for the next planned release?

Mike
  • Options
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about that. I went back and confirmed, actually the ctrl-enter was for older versions of SQL Doc(v2). I tried this out in SQL Doc 3 and confirmed this no longer works. Ive logged a bug under SDOC-1628 in regards to this issue with the line break.

In terms of the actual timelines for next planned release, we do not have any short term plans for a new release, however, I would suggest periodically checking in on the status, or checking out our roadmap here for current development and planned releases:

http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/about/news/

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • Options
    Unfortunately, that means that we will have to abandon use of SQL Doc. We were using V2 but it produces alot of extra output and the manual effort required to delete it to get the document down to a usable size is significant. We can't use V 3 because it runs the text together in a way that makes it unreadable.
  • Options
    Hi mlukas,

This issue has been resolved since version 3.1.2.765 which was released this week.

This can be downloaded from the below link ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLD ... .2.765.zip
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software