Sharepoint Portal Server .Net 1.1 Ants 2.6

Hello,
I am trying to profile a webpage that runs under sharepoint and I get the following error
Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /C1/workspace/default.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

This page request above is just a default sharepoint page. I want to profile code i have written and im getting the same error.

Thanks,
Hananiel

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

The most common issue with sharepoint seems to be user permissions. You may want to have a look in your AppPool configuration for the sharepoint site and see what user the app pool is running as, then change ANTS Profiler Service to log on as that user and restart the service.

The 404 is puzzling, though, because the server is answering requests, but it says it can't find the page. Perhaps this is related to the problem in the earlier post of IIS websites getting mixed up and the wrong website handling the requests.
  • I changed the app pools identity to a named user. And started ants profiler and it complains that with iis 6.x I cannot use a named identity but use one of the predefined ones. Now its not clear to me how to run the profiler as a predefined account. I dont know the password or how its set up.
    thanks,
    Hananiel
  • I did not notice earlier that ANTS profiler was talking about the default app pool and not the sharepoint app pool. Now that its all figured out, your suggestion did not help. Any body out there who got this to work?

Are there other .Net Profilers which can do this?
    thanks,
    Hananiel
  • Ok my w3wp.exe is running under a named account. When the profiler restarts it, it runs it under a system account. That seems to be the cause of the problem. How can you work around this.
    thanks,
    Hananiel
    Hi,

The w3wp.exe process is started by the ANTS Profiler Service -- the application pool inherits the application pool security. So changing the logon for the ANTS Profiler Service will change the security context of the application pool being profiled. That's where I was leading with all of this.
  • Are you sure you are not assuming that? I might be wrong, but

1. I ran ANTS profiler as the same named user as I am running the Sharepoint app pool.
    2. I observe in task manager the logon user id of the w3wp.exe process and it shows "System" (instead of the named user.)

So I am concluding that ANTS is loading the app pool under the System security context , instead of the security context it was started in.

Am I missing something?

Anyway what are you saying ? Lets say Im using CoolDomain\CoolUser for sharepoint app pool . (I cannot run it as "NT Authority\System" since sharepoint doesnt like it. )

I run ANTS profiler as "CoolDomain\CoolUser".

Now w3wp.exe has "SYSTEM" instead of "CoolUser" in taskmgr.

So what do you suggest I do? Obviously your team tested against this, so it might be helpful if you share your setup with me. Did you add the sharepoint databases in Local SQL Server and added "NT AUTHORITY\System" as dbo to the config database ?

I am guessing it might work but Im not sure.

Thanks for your help,
    Hananiel
    This doesn't sound right. When you change the security settings for the ANTS Profiler Service, did you remember to restart it?

Thanks.