Options

Issues

SamSam Posts: 7
edited May 3, 2006 8:13AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
What does it mean when the all the UI buttons grey out, right-click is no longer possible, and all the dependencies (red arrows) dissappear from the diagram? I'll refer to this as the UI dying.

This seems to keep occuring. Either the the objects I added simply don't work, or in instance they work fine the first time - everything spiders and the layout arranges, then I switched layouts, the UI started to re-arrange, but I zoomed out the same time and the UI died.

Also,
1. The 'Buy Now' link produces a product not found error.
2. The 'Help' link produces a page not found errror.
3. What is the significance of the 'Messages' list down on the bottom-right? Are these critical errors?
4. I have two databases, A and B. Both contain cross-databases sprocs. If I add A first, I get warnings about depencies on B failing, and vice-versa. :?:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sam,

You don't really need to worry about the messages list. It just lists things like being unable to resolve external references, as you've noticed in point 4.

With regards to your UI dying problem, I'd like to know roughly how many objects you have in your database. What you're describing sounds like the graph re-laying out, but from the way your describing it sounds like it's taking so long that it's not obvious that this is what is happening.

Thanks
    Alan.
  • Options
    Hi Allan,

I did another test, addding all tables in one of our databases.

The initial layout arrangement worked, but the UI seemed stuck in the disabled mode. I tried leaving it for a few minutes but no change.

Screenshot of the resulting UI state here:
    http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7180/sshot201xa.gif

As to the total number of objects, I would guess <100 tables and <100 sprocs, maybe a little more.
  • Options
    Hi Sam,

Can you pease tell me the exact steps you have taken to see this problem. Could you also please tell me the details of the machine you are running on (os, cpu and whether or not it's hyperthreaded, etc)

Thanks
    Alan
  • Options
    Hi Allan,

I've tried to repro with minimal steps but can't easily (I should have tried to before).
    I'll play around further when I get a chance and if I can repro the issue further I'll post more info.