Options

More flexibility in package names?

John WillistonJohn Williston Posts: 5
edited April 24, 2006 1:12PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Would it be possible to broaden the range of valid packages names? I ask because most of the packages I assemble are to update databases in the field from one revision level to another, said level typically being specified with a release designator. So, for example, if I'm building a package to update a database for the v1.1 release of Product X, it would be really handy if I could name the package something like "ProductX 1.0 to 1.1 DB Update". But packager seems to disallow both spaces and periods. For the moment I'm using names like "ProductX_1_0_to_1_1_DB_Update", but those aren't nearly so legible to the human eye. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

The Packager uses the output file name as the basis to create a namespace in the project that is going to be created. This pretty much precludes the use of dots (.) because they are hierarchical delimiters and will affect the orientation of the project's namespace. Spaces are not allowed as well, but I was under the impression that .NET would automatically replace them with underscores. I'm not 100% sure about that one.

In order to change this, Packager would need to be redesigned.