Options

MSDE DB problem

aperregatturvaperregatturv Posts: 67
Hi

I am trying to update a MSDE database with file size almost close to 2 GB and the SQL Toolkit fails saying the filegroup is full..

Please let me know how to update.

Thanks
Arun

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Arun,

I think I've been talking to you on email as well. My suspicion is that the database is not set to auto-grow. Either that or your hard disk doesn't have enough free space on it to allow the database to grow by the specified percentage (or megabytes) that is set in the database properties.
  • Options
    fordc03fordc03 Posts: 49 Bronze 2
    Not that this issue is still alive, but...MSDE has a 2GB limit on the Database size. It cannot grow beyond that, and if anything triggers it to go beyond that, then it will fail.
  • Options
    Hi Arun,
    Doesn't MSDE have a limit of 2GB?
    check out
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms165672.aspx
    for more information...
    Regards
    David
  • Options
    We need a property of the data compare engine that will allow us to break the migration sql script up into X or XXX number of rows per batch. We will give of the rollback, (begin commit transaction), functionality, but that is an acceptable trade-off when dealing with updating msde clients.
  • Options
    We've no plans currently of implementing a feature like that. Perhaps if you created the migration sql on a per table basis each component would be small enough that it would suit your purposes rather than generate the sql for the entire database?

Just a thought
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I changed the routine to create and execute a migration script per table. This works for most cases.

I have to use case scenarios that this does not work:
    @RowCount = 0.
    2) Control data update on a table containing large XML content, (> 700MB and right at 1GB). When inserting 500MB+ of new data or updating the previous 1,000,000 rows . This use case could benefit from a better method of batching than row-by-row.

In both use cases SqlOptions.UseTransactions and/or CanRollBackOnFailure would be set to false. Giving up this feature is acceptable during a release update when proper business continuity processes are in place and disk space is limited or msde limits are approached.