Options

Profiler hanged after Start Profiling in 8.6

gavin.tsegavin.tse Posts: 4
edited July 23, 2014 12:01PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I was able to profile my web application using the profiler 8.5.
However, the program always hanged when I start profiling in 8.6 using the same code of my web application.

Step:
1. Open Profiler
2. Checked all the settings and press "Start Profiler"
3. The web application can be run without any problem. However the profiler is hanged and no response for the "Stop" button.

Any suggestion to solve it is appreiated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear you're running into an issue with the profiler!

Can I please check a few things:

-If your application targets .NET 4+, does the same problem happen if you start your application normally and then attach the profiler to the already running w3wp process using the "attach to process" setting? (If it doesn't target .NET 4+, could you please check instead if sampling mode of profiling gives the same issue?)

-Does it make any difference if you disable "Profile child processes" (from the profiling session set-up view) and "Profiling with async-awareness" (Tools> Advanced Options)?

-Do you see any errors regarding the profiler or your application in Event Viewer (Windows logs>Application)?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Thank you for the information.

It is working if I choose "attach to process". As it is enough for me to carry on my work, I will go for this option at this moment. Thank you.
  • Options
    Sorry for the misleading information in the last thread. I found that it is wrong as the program hanged again when I tried to start the program the second time.

It seems that the problem doesn't appear if it is first started in Windows. If I restarted my computer, the program will hang when I tried to start the program the second time.

I could only see the item below related to the Profiler. But I am not sure if it is generated when it is hanged and I forcibly close the program.

The program RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe version 8.6.0.49 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 2a9c
    Start Time: 01cfa6430ff6d5a1
    Termination Time: 15
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 8\RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe
    Report Id: 8b832112-1236-11e4-bfd8-005056c00008
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Gavin,

No worries!

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: when you restart your machine and profile your application the first time, everything is fine, but when you profile a second time, the profiler hangs?

Can I please double check--is this website running in IIS or via the web dev server? Are there any errors related to either in Event Viewer?

If you try profiling a very simple website, does the problem still occur?

If you reinstall version 8.5 (ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/ANTS ... 5.0.12.zip ) does that work again as expected?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?