Options

Folder structure flexible?

PhamsongPhamsong Posts: 2
We're a MS shop. Mgmt wants us to change from Visual Source Safe to TFS for source control (yea!).

But our current folder structure is
    Database #1
    Tables Views Stored Procedures Functions ...
    Database #2
    Tables Views Stored Procedures Functions ...

etc. And, like you, we have lots of databases. We don't source control our Connections, and we don't have anything 'Miscellaneous'.

When we try to use SSMS & TFS (with considerable editing of XML files, I might add), it seems to require one high level 'project' for each database and then sticks all of our .sql files into the 'Queries' folder.

We're not really using SSDT, just the ssmssqlproj and ssmssln files.

And we hate it.

Can someone tell me, if we use SQL Source Control with TFS, can we store the folders the way we like?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately there isn't much flexibility in the folder structure created by SQL Source Control.

That being said, it shouldn't really be much of a headache, either, because all of the management of folders and files is taken care of automatically by the tool.

For example, if you create a blank repository in TFS and link your database to that, SQL Source Control will create its own folder structure, then when you go to commit, it will create .sql files in the appropriate subfolders that represent each of the objects in your database. As you make changes to your database and check them in, SQL Source Control will update the .sql files or create new ones.

Does that answer the question?

We also have a ticket open for you (#23065), so feel free to contact me that way. I'm happy to discuss on the phone.

Thanks,
    Evan
    Evan Moss
    Product Support
    (866) 627-8107