Options

Data compare doesn't work

donateljdonatelj Posts: 4
Everytime I try to compare my 2 databases I get the following error:
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
I checked the table on which the program stops and there's nothing wrong with the table, except that the source table has data in it and the destination table is empty.

I have the latest version. My collegue ran the compare on version 3.x and it worked fine...
What's wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I don't think an empty table is strictly the problem. I can compare an empty table to a populated table.

Are there any schema differences between the two tables you're comparing?
  • Options
    Being a .NET developer, I recognize this as being a coding bug, however, I encountered the same problem while comparing two tables.

The source table has data, the destination does not.
    The source table and the destination table have NO keys. I was forced to choose a key in order to select it for comparison. I first chose one field, then I chose all fields on which to compare, and got the same error either way. Basically, I just want to push the data into the other table.

:cry:
  • Options
    Can I ask you to confirm which version you are using of SQL Data Compare - you can find this out by going to the menu help->about. There was a problem with something similar to this in an older version where a table was empty and a custom comparison key was being used.

I've just checked on the version that I have on my machine and it seems
    to be working ok.

Thanks.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    My version is 5.0.0.2092, which I downloaded just previous to encountering the problem just yesterday.
  • Options
    OK I've tried and I can't replicate internally. Is there any chance you can pm me the schema information and data for the table that is having the problem. We are releasing a patch soon and hopefully I can get a fix for this in time.

Thanks
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    OK well I couldn't replicate it but one of the testers has managed to. The case is that if the field in your custom comparison key has more than one null value and the table that you are migrating to is empty or has less records than there are null values in the source table.

We'll get a patch into the upcoming version for you.

Thanks for finding it.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd