Command line vs GUI results are different

planetawylieplanetawylie Posts: 10
edited July 28, 2014 2:40AM in Schema Compare for Oracle
Schema Compare for Oracle v3.0.1.124

Hi,

I'm evaluating the SCO with the intent to integrate it into my CI build process, to produce a schema (and later data using DCO) comparison from one release to the next, as a script file which could then be applied against any target test environment to 'upgrade' that database to match the new release.

I started using the GUI version of the tool first, got everything working and saved the project file. I then used the SCO command line to use that project file and output the SQL script, but the output is not the same. Command line version says there are no differences.

However, I did get it to work when I used the -source/target approach instead of the project file, but then I can't seem to be able to exclude the schema names from the SQL script...there does not appear to be any switch to ignore schema names like the GUI has?

The DCO works fine on the command line but I need to be able to remove the schema names too...and what took 2hrs to run a data compare on a home grown tool, took less than 15mins with yours ! :)

Thanks, Andrew

Comments

• I've just had a look and it seems like there are number of recent options that hadn't made it into the command line. I've just fixed this so it'll be in the next release (hopefully very soon, days/weeks).

Also another possible confusion is that specifying any option either via -ignore or -behaviour clears all the default options. Again I've added information in the command line help to make this clearer what the current defaults would be.

Glad DCO is working for you at least :D
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • richardjm wrote:
    I've just had a look and it seems like there are number of recent options that hadn't made it into the command line. I've just fixed this so it'll be in the next release (hopefully very soon, days/weeks).

Also another possible confusion is that specifying any option either via -ignore or -behaviour clears all the default options. Again I've added information in the command line help to make this clearer what the current defaults would be.

Glad DCO is working for you at least :D

Hi Richard, thank you for the fast turnaround, that is great news, looking forward to the new version!
    Thanks
  • This is now available. Just hit check for updates in the help menu or re-download it.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • richardjm wrote:
    This is now available. Just hit check for updates in the help menu or re-download it.

Hi, thanks for the update. I downloaded/installed and changed my script to use the project file again. Unfortunately it still says there are not differences between the schemas when using the -project approach, when there are.

Also, of the new switches added, which of them removes the schema names from the output script file?

Thanks, Andrew
  • The full command line documentation is at http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... mmand+line (we're working on the documentation currently)

You'll need to modify the /behaviour and /ignore options but this should give you just as much control over the tool as using the Schema Compare for Oracle UI.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • richardjm wrote:
    The full command line documentation is at http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... mmand+line (we're working on the documentation currently)

You'll need to modify the /behaviour and /ignore options but this should give you just as much control over the tool as using the Schema Compare for Oracle UI.

Hi, are not those only applicable to when a target/source approach is used?

I'm trying to use the -project approach. It makes more sense for us to set up project files and run the diffs using those than to define the switches against a source/target setup, especially in our automated diff process. We can just download a new project file with all the settings in it (previously tested using the GUI) and let the automated builder pick it up.

And when I am using the source/target approach, I was defining my switches incorrectly. For example, I thought I could do '-b hfder' but you actually have to do each one with a separate '-b'.

Thanks, Andrew
  • You can specify with -b and -i as compound expressions but if you specify -b you must also specify -i and vice versa. Using either clears all options so only those specified on the command line take effect.

The default options could currently be written like the following, although this is quite likely to change as new options are introduced and old options changed for new releases.
    -bhdr -isdwqgva

If you use a -project it doesn't use the settings from that project? I've just had a play with this myself and it seems to be ok, in fact if you specify a project it will ignore any of the extra options on the command line in favour of the project file.

What it will do however is pay attention to the objects selected in the UI when using a project file. So it would deploy those objects that would have been deployed had you used the UI and not changed any of the checkboxes.

If you want new objects to be deployed you have to have the all objects checkbox selected in the UI before you save the project.

Hope this makes sense.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd