Options

Compare not working

huw_loydhuw_loyd Posts: 3
edited April 24, 2006 10:13AM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I created an empty database and used data compare to get the data input into it.

Some of the tables do not have primary keys and when i choose a custom comparison key the program shows that all the rows are different even though the data was actually put into one of the databases from the Data Compare tool.

e.g.
Table defined as:
Code char(2)
Description varchar(20)

Data in table:
1 WHITE EUROPEAN
2 DARK EUROPEAN
3 AFRO/CARIBBEAN
4 ASIAN
5 ORIENTAL
6 MIDDLE EASTERN
7 ARAB
8 INDIAN
9 PAKISTANI
O NOT KNOWN

Custom Key:
Code & Description

When comparing both columns all rows are being shown as different.
Interestingly if i only choose to compare on one column (either code or description) then the compare shows they are the same.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    After investigating a little further it seems that in one of our databases ANSI NULLS is set to false yet set to true in the other newer one i'm comparing against.

I guess this is why the compare appears not to work.

However, i still don't understand why comparing just a single column works fine and identifies all matching rows.
  • Options
    Hi,

We're trying to reproduce this problem in-house and have so far been unsuccessful.

Are you using the trim trailing spaces option? If this is unchecked during comparison, it could be possible that differences will be apparent if trailing spaces have been removed during synchronization.

Do you remember what options were selected when you performed the original synch?

Thanks,

David

Software Test,
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software