Scripting the difference

vfursovvfursov Posts: 4
edited April 25, 2006 5:35AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
At this moment SQL Differences tab currently presents the two schemas. This visualizes the difference, but almost useless since tool does not give the mechanizm for synchronizing two databases.

What would be useful, if tool would show two scripts. For example, if the left schema has an extra in a table, and the then left screen shall contain the script ALTER TABLE CREATE FIELD, and the right screen shall have ALTER TABLE DROP FIELD accordingly. Or if the left has CREATE PROCEDURE, then the right will have DROP PROCEDURE script.
Of course, all scripts shall check if objects exists first, then behave accordingly...

This would be very useful. This would allow my developer to run a comparison, see what needs to be modified, and actually take the modification script generated by the tool.

So far this is the biggest issue I see with this tool.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Yes, I see. Currently you can only see what the resulting synchronization script looks like if you click the synchronize button and go through the synchronization wizard. And to just see the script for one object, you need to de-select everything and just select the object you're interested in.
  • Hello,
    Yes, I see. Currently you can only see what the resulting synchronization script looks like if you click the synchronize button and go through the synchronization wizard. And to just see the script for one object, you need to de-select everything and just select the object you're interested in.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for showing me that way. However, now I have to complete so many steps to see this script. It would be definitely better tool if it would allow me to see the synchronizations scripts immediately at the moment when it reports on differences.

Thank you,

Vitaliy
  • vfursov wrote:
    Hello,

In SQL Compare 3.1.7.218 that I was using before upgrading to 5.0 this was possible. For each difference I could select a Tab 'Sync SQL 1' or 'Sync SQL 2' on the difference that would give the SQL to use for the single difference shown.

I used this a lot, and after reading this post I checked SQL Compare 5.0 and was *very* supprised not to see this feature there. I used this all the time, as I use SQL Compare to build upgrade scripts between versions of our product and need to think about every change required. Therefore I do one change at a time, and do not use the complete syncronization script.

Maybe insight in to why the feature was dropped, would help me understand how I should be using the product better?

Thank you,
    Thies.
  • thies wrote:
    In SQL Compare 3.1.7.218 that I was using before upgrading to 5.0 this was possible. For each difference I could select a Tab 'Sync SQL 1' or 'Sync SQL 2' on the difference that would give the SQL to use for the single difference shown.

I used this a lot, and after reading this post I checked SQL Compare 5.0 and was *very* supprised not to see this feature there. I used this all the time, as I use SQL Compare to build upgrade scripts between versions of our product and need to think about every change required. Therefore I do one change at a time, and do not use the complete syncronization script.

Maybe insight in to why the feature was dropped, would help me understand how I should be using the product better?

Thank you,
    Thies.

Exactly! I've also seen this feature in a trial version, and then when was unable to find it in a licensed release I've requested money back. That's almost the only feature I needed this product for.
  • Hi,

we have added this functionality back into SQL Compare 5.1. In 5.1 you will be able to see the synchronization SQL for the database object that you are viewing at the bottom of the main form.

SQL Bundle 5.1 will be released next month. Please email support@redgate.com if you would like us to send you an early build?

Many thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
This discussion has been closed.