Options

Matching Parenthesis

MikeONeillMikeONeill Posts: 131
edited June 18, 2014 5:39AM in SQL Prompt
Hi

I was just looking at some of the new features. I love the matching bracket feature , as a long time user of Resharper and Visual Assist , I have missed this when working in SQL.

Just a thought , in a white background colour scheme the grey highlight doesn't really stand out to well especially if the expression in brackets is complex and spreads over several lines. I am not sure how it would look on a black scheme that some people prefer.

Is it possible to make it a colour, preferable selectable . In VS I usually have it set to Aqua so it stands out better. I have looked in the Options but I can't see anywhere to configure it .

The same goes for highlighting the matching BEGIN...END loops

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Mike,

You can change the colour of the highlight in SSMS by going to Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors then change "Brace Matching (Rectangle)". If you're using the 6.4 beta this will also affect the BEGIN/END highlights.

Hope that helps!

Aaron.
  • Options
    Hi Aaron

I knew you would have thought of it , I was looking in SqlPrompt options

As advertised I now have Cyan brackets , incidentally I am using 6.4 Beta and Begin ...End highlights perfectly as well . This is a superb addition especially in complex stored procs with horrible nestings

Mike
  • Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for letting us know this worked for you!

We're actually using the markers that come with the visual studio shell (which SSMS is built on top of) to highlight the matches which is why the colours are under the standard options rather the Prompt ones. I'll see if this can be included in our documentation since I can see why changing from the default colour makes sense.

Glad to hear the feature is helping :)