Feature request: Simulate breaking references

twanbatentwanbaten Posts: 3
edited October 29, 2014 4:05PM in ANTS Memory Profiler 8
It would be nice if I could break a reference between two objects or simply mark an object as 'not in memory'. All screens would then give information as if the object is not in memory (and all objects only referenced by that object would be excluded also). This would be useful when I suspect that a lot of other objects are kept in memory because of the marked object, but actually solving the leak would be tedious and might not tackle the (memory) problem at hand.

Comments

• Thanks for your suggestion. This will be brought forward at our next meeting.
  • This will be brought forward at our next meeting.
    Hi Chris,

Is there any news on this matter? Is there a ticket somewhere for this feature request?
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi twanbaten,

There's no update as of yet, I'm afraid :/ (we have the feature request logged in our internal tracking system as MP-2321).

Though you can't simulate breaking references, there is a "Never referenced by an instance " filter that will filter out any objects whose paths of reference (including indirect references) to the GC root goes through the specified item--it might be of some help!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?