Change tracking already enabled, can we use that?

EvilGreeboEvilGreebo Posts: 4
I'm starting the trial period on SQL SC 3 and I had alerted our DBAs that I was creating a new test DB for change log tracking and what would be the plan moving forward if we adopt...
One requirement of this plugin is that in order to be able to keep a full history of who changed what, a custom ChangeLog database must be created. The tool will work without this database but changes are kept in TempDB which means every time the server restarts, we lose the history. (See: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... +databases )

This was the reply from the senior DBA:
Reviewing..would rather see dedicated db instead of tempdb. But, if we want to do this – why not just have us enable change log tracking on specific databases?

So - question - CAN SC3 use existing sql change log tracking if it's been enabled?

Comments

• Any support team members even reading these forums?
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately the only way for SQL Source Control to keep track of usernames in the shared model (http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ent+models) is a table we create called RG_AllObjects (this is in tempdb by default, but you can create a dedicated database for it like in the article you mentioned.)

(Also, if you need to get a support ticket started quickly in the future, emailing support@red-gate.com creates a ticket immediately, whereas on the forums, a ticket is only created if no one responds in two days.)

Regards,
    Evan
    Evan Moss
    Product Support
    (866) 627-8107
  • Understood.

One disappointing find was that when I checked in changes to a db made by a co-worker into SVN, our repository logged those changes as belonging to me, even though the checkin tool showed that he made them.

So is the idea here that the table is used to show the developer who made each change in the shared db so that they don't inadvertently check in someone else's stuff?
  • Hello,

You're correct -- the username recorded by the source control repository is associated with the user that does the commit (it's because that's the user actually checking in files to your source control system). The "changed by" column is so that you can track for your own purposes.

Thanks,
    Evan
    Evan Moss
    Product Support
    (866) 627-8107